NOTE that this is NOT a back up of your data stored in your storage array(s) this is simply a back up of your FreeNAS configuration in the event of a failed boot usb.
When you have your FreeNAS set up as you want it (i.e shares and volumes configured) you are going to want to make a back up of your config file therefore if you must do a fresh install of your FreeNAS usb you can reload your past configuration and be back up and running!
To save your configuration:
- Open a browser and point it to your NAS' IP to open the FreeNAS webGUI.
- Go to "System > General" and click "Save Config".
- A ".db" will download in your browser. This is your configuration settings, make sure you save this somewhere safe so if you ever have to reinstall FreeNAS you have this file handy.
To restore your configuration:
- boot into your freshly installed FreeNAS and navigate to the webGUI.
- Go to "System -> General" and then click "Upload Config" and choose the ".db" file you created when you set up your configuration.
- The system will then reboot with your old configuration!