There are numerous types of Functional and Regression Testing Tools available in the market. We have listed some them below:
Tricentis is the industry’s #1 Automation Testing platform and is recognized for reinventing software testing for DevOps. Tricentis is the only vendor to achieve “leader” status in all three top analyst reports.
- Risk-based testing
- Scriptless end-to-end test automation
- Supports API, BI, Mobile, Cross Browser, RPA and other automation testing types
- The industry’s most extensive technical support
mabl delivers scriptless end-to-end test automation, integrated with your delivery pipeline, so you can focus on improving your app.
- Proprietary machine learning models automatically identify and surface application issues
- Tests are automatically repaired when UI changes
- Automated regression insights on every build
Learn more about mabl
Testim.io leverages artificial intelligence for the authoring, execution and maintenance of automated test cases.
- Proprietary technology learns and adapts automated tests to code changes, reducing 90% of maintenance time and 70% of authoring time.
- Helps companies accelerate time-to-market and achieve unparalleled quality at a fraction of time of conventional solutions.
Learn more about TestIM
It is a software testing tool used for Regression Testing. It is an open source testing tool that provides playback and recording facility for Regression Testing. The Selenium IDE only supports Mozilla Firefox web browser.
- It provides the provision to export recorded script in other languages like Java, Ruby, RSpec, Python, C#, etc
- It can be used with frameworks like JUnit and TestNG
- It can execute multiple tests at a time
- Autocomplete for Selenium commands that are common
- Walkthrough tests
- Identifies the element using id, name, X-path, etc.
- Store tests as Ruby Script, HTML, and any other format
- It provides an option to assert the title for every page
- It supports selenium user-extensions.js file
- It allows to insert comments in the middle of the script for better understanding and debugging
QTP (MicroFocus UFT)
QTP is widely used for functional and regression testing, it addresses every major software application and environment. To simplify test creation and maintenance, it uses the concept of keyword driven testing. It allows the tester to build test cases directly from the application.
- It is easier to use for a non-technical person to adapt to and create working test cases
- It fix defects faster by thoroughly documenting and replicating defects for developer
- Collapse test creation and test documentation at a single site
- Parameterization is easy than WinRunner
- QTP supports .NET development environment
- It has better object identification mechanism
- It can enhance existing QTP scripts without "Application Under Test" is available, by using the ActiveScreen
Rational Functional Tester
It is an Object-Oriented automated Functional Testing tool that is capable of performing automated functional, regression, data-driven testing and GUI testing. The main features of this tool are
- It supports a wide range of protocols and applications like Java, HTML, NET, Windows, SAP, Visual Basic, etc.
- It can record and replay the actions on demand
- It integrates well with source control management tools such as Rational Clear Case and Rational Team Concert integration
- It allows developers to create keyword associated script so that it can be re-used
- Eclipse Java Developer Toolkit editor facilitates the team to code test scripts in Java with Eclipse
- It supports custom controls through proxy SDK (Java/.Net)
- It supports version control to enable parallel development of test scripts and concurrent usage by geographically distributed team
It is an open source testing software for regression testing. It enables you to write tests that are easy to read and maintain. Watir supports only internet explorer on windows while Watir webdriver supports Chrome, Firefox, IE, Opera, etc.
- It supports multiple browsers on different platforms
- Rather than using proprietary vendor script, it uses a fully-featured modern scripting language Ruby
- It supports your web app regardless of what it is developed in
Silk Test is designed for doing functional and regression testing. For e-business application, silk test is the leading functional testing product. It is a product of Segue Software takeover by Borland in 2006. It is an object-oriented language just like C++. It uses the concept of an object, classes, and inheritance. Its main feature includes
- It consists of all the source script files
- It converts the script commands into GUI commands. On the same machine, commands can be run on a remote or host machine
- To identify the movement of the mouse along with keystrokes, Silktest can be executed. It can avail both playback and record method or descriptive programming methods to get the dialogs
- It identifies all controls and windows of the application under test as objects and determines all of the attributes and properties of each window
How to Choose an Automation Tool?
Selecting the right tool can be a tricky task. Following criterion will help you select the best tool for your requirement-
- Environment Support
- Ease of use
- Testing of Database
- Object identification
- Image Testing
- Error Recovery Testing
- Object Mapping
- Scripting Language Used
- Support for various types of test - including functional, test management, mobile, etc...
- Support for multiple testing frameworks
- Easy to debug the automation software scripts
- Ability to recognize objects in any environment
- Extensive test reports and results
- Minimize training cost of selected tools
Tool selection is one of the biggest challenges to be tackled before going for automation. First, Identify the requirements, explore various tools and its capabilities, set the expectation from the tool and go for a Proof Of Concept.