A certificate signing request (also CSR or certification request) is a message sent from an applicant to a certificate authority in order to apply for a digital identity certificate. SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) is the standard security technology for establishing an encrypted link between a web server and a browser. This link ensures that all data passed between the web server and browsers remain private and integral.
The required process can be broken down in three easy steps.
- Generating a CSR, Certificate, and Key
- Acquiring SSL Certificate
- Installing SSL
Generating a CSR, Certificate, and Key
1. Login to Web Host Manager (WHM).
2. On the left navigation menu, click on SSL/TLS. Then the Generate SSL Certificate and Signing Request Generate an SSL Certificate and Signing Request button.
3. Fill in the details for the SSL you seek, click on the Create button.
4. After this, you will see Signing Request, Certificate, and key fields. Fill the text in the fields, as required. When you request an SSL, provide Signing Request as your CSR.
Acquiring SSL Certificate
Prior to installing a certificate, we will require a copy of it. It is just a text file and not an actual paper certificate. SSL certificate can be a purchased one or a self-signed one.
- If your certificate is a purchased one, you will receive an emailed certificate after you buy it.
- If you are installing a Self-signed Certificate, then you already have it.
1. Login to WHM.
2. In the left navigation Menu, click SSL/TLS, then click the Install an SSL Certificate and Setup the Domain button.
3. Important – In the Domain section, Browse and select the domain you are installing the certificate for, leaving the IP field on Auto-discover
4. You will then have three fields to fill, fill them as per requirement and then click the Submit button.