Akeeba is a popular plugin for Joomla web hosting. It automates the process of keeping your files safe without having to manually backup the Joomla website. It has a lot of tools and functionality, which is why many people trust the module.
Backups are important whether you’re making adjustments on the site or protecting it from hackers and malware threats. I can’t count the number of times when I’ve witnessed a backup copy saving someone years of web design work from being completely lost.
In this tutorial, I am going to show you how to use Akeeba Backup for Joomla. It’s an easy system to use and comes with customizable settings.
Creating a Back of Joomla with Akeeba
First, you will need to install the plugin by visiting the Akeeba website and downloading the newest stable version.
- Go to the Akeeba website and click the link for the most recent version.
- Scroll down and click the link to download the core package.
- When downloading the core, you’ll need to unpack the contents into a separate folder. This Zip file contains the other Zips you’ll need when installing the plugin.
- I created a folder on my desktop called, “Akeeba” and unpacked all of the files into it. There will be five files to install. You must have FOF, framework-on-framework, extension installed. Otherwise, you can install it from the Akeeba Zip you just downloaded. The Akeeba core will not install on Joomla without it.
- You can also find Akeeba in the Joomla.org directory as well as the “Install from Web” option directly in the admin panel if you turn it on when installing extensions.
- In either case, install the module as you would for any other.
- Click the “Akeeba Backup” addition from the Components section in Joomla.
- The configuration wizard window will load up for the first time. Click the “Configuration Wizard” button to set up Akeeba for backups.
- Akeeba will then run a series of benchmark tests on your system to configure the best options for the tool. Once the benchmark testing is over, click the “Backup Now” button to test the settings and create a copy.
- Once the backup is complete, you can click to manage the files. You can also just click the “Control Panel” button on the top left to go back.
The control panel in Akeeba Backup for Joomla has a variety of settings to customize. Profile management, automatic scheduling, excluding files and directories and more can be changed from this screen.
Once you install the component, creating a backup of Joomla with Akeeba can be done with a couple clicks of the mouse. This is often much easier than trying to manually create backups through cPanel and phpMyAdmin. Aside from the fact you can restore your website with this plugin, it’s a time saver.