When working with Joomla, there may be a time when you don’t want a certain extension on your site. Perhaps you decided you didn’t need the tool, you found a better plugin or it hasn’t been updated in a long time. Regardless, it’s to your benefit to learn how to remove Joomla extensions.
One of the reasons a lot of people use Joomla to build a website is because it can be expanded by using plugins and modules. While some of these may offer some great features to your site, sometimes they just are not necessary.
Today, I’m going to show you how to remove Joomla extensions. It’s a quick process that only takes a few clicks of the mouse to uninstall these elements.
Removing Joomla Extensions
- Click on the Extensions tool from the admin panel and select “Manage.” This is the same area of Joomla when you want to install extensions.
- Click the “Manage” link in the left sidebar.
- Search for the extension you want to remove. In this example, I am removing a plugin called “Social Buttons” that I decided I didn’t want to use. In the search field, I’m going to put in “social” in order to sift through all of these files in Joomla.
- Once you find the extension, click the checkbox next to its name. In this example, I am removing “Social Buttons”.
- Click the “X Uninstall” button at the top.
- Your browser should launch a confirmation window for the uninstall. Click the “OK” button and Joomla will do the rest.
- Now, the extension has been removed from your website. A success message will appear highlighted in green.